We are currently in search of a Director of Development
POSITION TITLE: Director of Development
LOCATION: Allentown, New Jersey (hybrid schedule)
DURATION: Full Time
SALARY: $90,000 to $110,000
OUR VISION is a world in which communities from across the globe work together in partnership to transform each other’s lives, so that people are relieved from suffering and can begin to achieve their full potential. OUR BELIEF is that we can empower people to raise themselves from extreme poverty by coming alongside them as partners to share each other’s burdens, resources, and solutions. OUR MISSION is to build partnerships between villages in the developed world and villages in Malawi to bring about life-changing development for all. OUR METHOD is to work with local development experts in Malawi to implement programs designed to simultaneously address the inter-connected web of root causes of extreme poverty: lack of access to clean water, food insecurity, poor health care, inadequate education, insufficient infrastructure, and lack of economic opportunities. OUR MOTIVATION is to respond to the call of Jesus Christ to love and serve the poor, the hungry, the widowed and the orphaned.
Key Impact & High-Level Description
This is “the” development position for VIP and is a key member of the management team. Its key impact is to maintain and increase donors, who are the lifeblood of VIP. This fulltime position is based in Allentown, New Jersey, and reports directly to the Executive Director. This position is anticipated to call for a hybrid work environment with the division between office time and work-from-home time to be negotiated between the ED and candidate. The position has one to two direct reports. Annual travel to Malawi is expected.
What’s GREAT about this job?
This role provides the opportunity to put your faith into action. This role is pivotal and is a career growth position. There is plenty of room to grow at VIP. With support from the team as needed, this individual determines how VIP grows, when VIP grows, and by how much. In essence, this person determines with how many people VIP partners, when we partner, and what level of results we drive as we partner. Our hearts are in Malawi, but our donors are primarily in the United States. We have feet in both worlds.
This individual is responsible for the entire development function. The Director creates and proposes specific strategies and plans for donor care, donor acquisition, donor cultivation and donor retention. Specifically, this includes major gift acquisition, developing communication pieces and schedules, event planning and scheduling, metric development and reporting, and course correction. Oversees all fundraising events and ensures flawless execution. Creates programs such as annual funds and legacy campaigns that are reportable and provide sustainability for VIP. Present to donors, motivating them to participate, and inspire them to reach. Conduct field visits to Malawi, bringing donors to see VIP’s impact firsthand. Cultivate, grow, and motivate VIP’s network of volunteers. Serve as a resource to the board, Executive Director, and broader team. Write and submit winning proposals (knowing not all will win). This individual is a key resource to the senior leadership team at VIP and will support the Executive Director in other duties as assigned.
The ability to create a strategic development plan is essential for this role; however, so is the relationship building that runs alongside it. We anticipate that Year One for anyone in this role is a critical year of relationship building, and Year Two the year where donor commitments increase significantly. However, Year 1 should still see moderate growth from initial efforts as this person joins the team.
- Executive communication skills with the power to persuade
- Relationship skills with the power to drive action.
- Empathy, with the ability to translate dollars to lives with passion and sincerity
- Mission ownership – the ability to speak with heart and control as though the VIP mission is your own personal mission
- Great cultural sensitivity with the ability to adapt and cross cultures.
- Leadership ability that inspires and fans an air of confidence.
- Excitement and enthusiasm about the VIP mission.
- Creativity – to identify new approaches, new pockets of donors, and new ways of reaching current ones.
- Project management – project management skills that result in flawless reporting, education, and execution
- Smart work – hard work is appreciated, but smart work is truly valued. This includes the ability to self-manage from a project plan, communicate from a project plan, and be known as one who meets commitments.
- Flexibility – the ability to work and connect when donors are available, which can require changes to work schedules
- Tenacity – being fearless when brainstorming new plans, approaches, and programs, and motivating others to listen if something has been “tried before” or “sounds too hard.”
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, & Other Qualifications
- Christian faith required
- Previous examples of driving significant results as compared to original revenue, numbers of donors, and participation levels
- Five+ years of development experience with increasingly complex goals and deliverables
- Related bachelor’s degree (international, business, non-profit management, or similar) with a masters preferred (especially if related to the work of VIP)
- Certified Fund-Raising Executive (CFRE) a plus
- CRM experience preferred
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Power user status in Microsoft 365 – with the ability to create compelling Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents.
Miscellaneous Requirements & Notes
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally; travel estimate is 1-2 domestic trips per year (Fri-Sun); minimum of 1 trip to Malawi per year, in July/August that averages 3 weeks while hosting 2 travel teams of donors, including time in-between teams for recuperation
- Ability to present and engage virtually using Zoom
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds (personal suitcases, event support, etc.)
- Other duties in support of VIP and its mission will be assigned
Apply by clicking here or by sending a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send their resume as well.
See who else is on Staff at VIP.